June 21st is quickly approaching and you all know what that means….Summer will officially commence!
Along with patio season, summer barbeques, hiking, soccer, baseball, golf and all the other activities that we all love participating in being in full swing, there is one benefit of summertime that many of us forget about, and that is the best season to conserve your homes energy. Not to mention some much needed savings on those energy bills you dread receiving once a month. Although you might need to crank up the AC a few days, the Home Sweet Home Team has a few tips to cut your summer energy usage while enjoying our great Calgary summer, which never lasts long enough!
1. Barbecuing– Get outside and enjoy the few perfect months a year we are graced with for barbeque season. Avoid heating up the kitchen and save on your electricity and AC costs.
2. Take Advantage of the Outdoors– The more time you spend outdoors playing those summer sports we all love, or going for a walk or the occasional picnic, the less time you will be spending inside using your lights etc.!
3. Become a Fan of the Fan– Using your ceiling fan, if you have one, combined with a few open windows, will maximize the air circulation in your home and minimize the amount of money you spend on air conditioning.
4. Smart Gardening– For one, planting an abundance of trees and shrubs will increase the curb appeal of your home. Not only do luscious trees and shrubs look good, they will help shade against the heat in the summer. Your energy savings will grow just as your shade trees do.
5. Tune up Your Central Air Conditioning System- Don’t forget to start off the summer season by tuning up your AC system to ensure everything is working as effective and efficient as possible. For those with a window AC system, make sure you change the filter at least once a summer season if not more to ensure optimal air conditioning.
6. In With the New– If you have an archaic air conditioning system, it is probably a good time to upgrade to a newer system. Over the years, air conditioning systems have became much more energy efficient. Look for one with a high energy star rating.
7. Line Drying Your Clothes– If you are as worried about shrinking your clothes as I am, you probably already do this. If you don’t, line drying your clothes outdoor is a great way to eliminate some of your energy costs and be more GREEN!
8. Outdoor Security Lights- Ensure that your outdoor security lights are on the motion detector setting so they are only using energy when they absolutely need to be.
We hope this helps put a couple extra dollars in your pocket and hey, it never hurts to improve your global footprint and strive to be a little more green!
For many more home tips, Calgary market information, specific Calgary property information or if you are interested in selling or buying a Calgary home, please Contact Us today! We are the Home Sweet Home Team and we are your Calgary Real Estate Connection.
Stay connected with the Home Sweet Home Team!